First Team



Alfreton Town

Thu 5 Apr 2018 | National League North | Home


Tameside Stadium




Samuel Barrott




A game of two halves was the story at the Tameside Stadium as Curzon Ashton and Alfreton Town played out a 2-2 draw on Thursday night.


The first half was all Curzon and a brace from Nash winger, Joe Guest gave John Flanagan and his side a comfortable 2-0 lead at the break. However, the visitors came out a different side in the second half and Alfreton’s Tom Allan and Tom Platt both found the net to ensure they headed back to Derbyshire with a share of the points.


 It was Curzon who started the better of two sides, and they had the all-important opener 15 minutes in. The inform Ben Mckenna found space down the right and whipped a delightful ball into Joe Guest, whose bullet header from 12 yards gave the Alfreton keeper no chance, and Curzon the lead.


Despite taking the lead the Nash were dealt a blow 10 minutes later as midfielder, Chris Rowney was forced off with injury and replaced by Richard Baker.


Fortunately, this set back didn’t hinder Flanagan’s side as they doubled their lead minutes later.


It was the Mckenna-Guest link up which again breached the Alfreton backline as Mckenna set up Guest 18 yards from goal, who smashed his unstoppable effort into the bottom right corner, doubling his account, and Curzon’s lead.


As Curzon’s goals came in twos so did their injuries and two minutes after doubling their lead, they doubled their injury count for the night, as Ryan Brooke replaced the injured Niall Cummins.


The substitute was quick to make his mark and nearly netted the Nash a third, as his effort from 20 yards deflected just over the bar.


Curzon dominated the first half from the first whistle to the last and took their well deserved 2-0 lead into the break.


The second 45 minutes begun in polar-opposite fashion to the first as the visitors found a way back into the game just five minutes after the restart.


Sam Topliss crossed in from the right and Tom Allan headed in from close range to cut the Curzon deficit to one.


The visitors didn’t rest on just the one goal as they netted their second minutes later. A deep free kick from Brendon Daniels found Platt, who tapped home from six yards to level things up with just 10 minutes gone in the second half.


With both teams fighting for the points to steer clear of the relegation zone, the final half hour of the clash turned into a real scrap, with Sam Walker and Mckenna finding themselves in the referee’s book for late challenges.


With five minutes left on the clock Joe Guest nearly completed his hat-trick. The Nash number three found space in behind the Alfreton defence, however his deflected effort agonisingly crashed into the side netting.


Guest’s chance proved to be the last of a frantic evening at the Tameside Stadium, and the teams took a point a piece as they look to clamber away from the relegation zone.

Match Report by Josh Lees


Back to Fixtures