First Team



Brackley Town

Sat 15 Sep 2018 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Samuel Barrott



Curzon left it late to grab a point against highly fancied Brackley but are still searching for their first home win of the campaign.

The home side started brightly but it was Brackley who threatened first when after 4 minutes a cross from the left by Luke Fairlamb found Lee Ndlove who could only direct his header over the crossbar.

Curzon then started to be guilty of giving the ball away to easily and they nearly paid the price when on 15 minutes Alex Samizadeh lost the ball on the half way line, the ball found Shane Byrne on the right who then played in Matt Lowe, his shot from the edge of the box was touched over the crossbar by Curzon’s keeper Cameron Mason at the expense of a corner.


On 23 minutes Brackley again found space down Curzon’s left side with James Armson cutting inside and curling in a great effort which thankfully Mason had covered.


With the pressure still on Brackley won a free kick, centrally around 25 yards out which Byrne hits narrowly wide of Mason’s upright.


Against the run of play Curzon were offered a great chance to take the lead when Samizadeh on 31 minutes latched onto a defensive error by Brackley when they played a poor back pass to their keeper Danny Lewis, Samizadeh struck the ball past Lewis only to see it hit the corner of the post and crossbar.

A minute later Brackley took the lead when a low cross from Fairlamb found Armson, unmarked inside the box and he calmly stroked home past the wrong footed Mason.


On 42 minutes Ndlove should have put Brackley two ahead when a cross from Fairlamb found him in the 6 yard box but he could only flash his header wide.


Curzon were glad to see half time so that they could re-group to try to get back into this game in the second half.


Neither side made any changes for the second half but Curzon went to three at the back with Mohamud Ali moving from the centre to the right of a three and Daniel Morton moving further forward as they went searching for an equaliser.


It was 51 minutes before the first shot in anger of the second half came and again it came from Brackley when Ndlove hit a shot on the turn from the edge of the box.  Mason was equal to it tipping the ball over the crossbar for the second time in the game.

On 58 minutes Mason came to Curzon’s rescue after Ndlove got in behind Curzon’s defensive line, he managed to round Mason but somehow Mason stuck his foot out to divert Ndlove’s shot to safety. 


Curzon made their first change on 63 minutes with Paul Marshall replacing Chris Rowney who had worked his socks off in the centre of midfield, Marshall first contribution was to set Oliver Crankshaw away but his cross into the box was far too long.  


Curzon tried in vain to shoot from distance but struggled to hit the target or make Lewis make a save. Guest on 69 minutes did well to wrong foot his marker on the edge of the box but hitting his effort on his weaker foot it flew well wide of the goal.


On 75 minutes Curzon cheered the return of Adam Morgan when he replaced Samizadeh, Morgan was the FA cup hat-trick hero for Curzon Vs Wimbledon before leaving to join Halifax Town.


The changes seemed to lift Curzon as they pushed forward with confident but again, without hurting Brackley. But on 80 minutes Curzon managed to do just that when a long ball forward was flicked on by Niall Cummins to the feet of Connor Hughes, Hughes then delivered a low cross to the far post where Oliver Crankshaw was placed to hit his second goal in two games.

The goal fired up Curzon and Morgan tried an audacious lob on 84 minutes from the edge of the box but it was too high and too long but Curzon were still vulnerable at the back and Ndlove again broke through but could only fire his effort high over Curzon’s goal two minutes later.   


Curzon for the second time this season secured a point at home but still are looking for their first home win. As for Brackley Town and all their possession, they will leave the Tameside stadium the more disappointed.


Report by Dave Jones


Back to Fixtures