First Team



Boston United

Sat 29 Sep 2018 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Aaron Jackson



On a sunny afternoon at the Tameside Stadium Curzon started brightly by playing some patience football, keeping the ball and looking for openings to turn the Boston defence.  But it was Boston who had the first chance of the game when Paul Marshall  gave away a free kick around 30 yards from the Curzon goal. The resulting free kick was headed high over Cameron Mason’s crossbar by Gregg Smith.


Minutes after Mason had to be alert from a Mohamud Ali firm back pass and was inches away from conceding an own goal. 

But Curzon did have half chances of their own, Adam Morgan in for Alex Samizadeh, was busy inside the Boston 18 yard area as was Oliver Crankshaw who came close after bursting into the box on 14 minutes but both players were involved in the goal which came on 18 minutes.


Moving the ball from the back, Cameron McJannett  found Joe Guest who played the ball out to Crankshaw, who’s deep cross found Morgan at the far post, and Morgan’s header found the net via the underneath of the cross bar to give Curzon a great start.


On the half an hour mark there was a stoppage in play after Mason went down clutching his foot, which he seemed to kicked into the ground after taking an kick earlier.  The stoppage allowed players to take on water but after the restart the game became scrappy and both sides struggled to create chances.


On 37 minutes Connor Hughes had the crowd out of their seats after getting onto a short free kick from Guest, Hughes, broke into the box cutting the ball back for Morgan but Boston defence did well to get the block in and clear the danger.


On the stroke of half time, Hughes ran across the front of Boston’s 18 yard box, looking for an opening and had his first effort blocked, the ball then fell onto his left foot but he could not get a good contact and Boston managed to clear again.


With 2 minutes of added time, Boston were awarded a free kick out to the right but Curzon’s Guest defended well, heading away the first cross and the second cross into the box.


Curzon went in at half time pleased with their first half performance, full of confidence and with a well-deserved lead.

In the second half Boston needed to get back on level terms and on 49 minutes they won themselves a corner and Ryan Qualter nearly did that as he won a clear header six yards out but he could only direct it over the crossbar.


Crankshaw got the crowd to their feet a minute later when he went on a blistering run through the middle of the park only to be stopped in his tracks by Spencer Harris, Crankshaw tried to win it back but conceded a free kick.


On 55 minutes Curzon produced the best move of the match so far when a ball played up to Niall Cummins, was brought down and Cummins found Guest, Guest ran 10 yards then slipped the ball through to Morgan who’s first time effort had keeper George Willis beaten but just went inches past the post.


On the hour mark Boston made two changes and substitute Ankeem Rose didn’t waste any time in getting into the action by whizzing in a shot across Mason’s goal but luckily no-one from Boston were there to get onto the end of it.


On 64 minutes Boston got back on level terms and it came from nothing. The ball finding Nicky Walker on the edge of the box, he got inside and then hit his shot which deflected past Mason.


Manager John Flanagan made his first change for Curzon replacing Cummins with Alex Samizadeh to inject some pace to the front line as they went looking for a second goal. On 72 minutes Crankshaw forced Willis to a full stretch save went he hit an effort from 25 yards.

Two minutes later Curzon were at sixes and sevens inside their own box and substitute Rose was on hand to blast the ball home from 6 yards out to put Boston into the lead. 


Curzon then threw caution to the wind and put pressure onto Boston to try and get the equaliser and Samizadeh got himself into a good position for a shot on 79 minutes but he couldn’t keep it down and it flew high over the crossbar.


In the final minutes Boston could of added two more goals and it was Rose who on both occasions was denied firstly his first effort was blocked and then Mason denied him after saving with his feet as Rose cut in from the right and shot from 3 yards.


With 5 minutes added to the end of the game Curzon desperately tried to grab a second as they put bodies into Boston’s box, the best chance falling to Daniel McJannett who scuffed his effort wide.


But just as Curzon were piling on the pressure Boston grabbed a third and it was another Substitute, Max Wright who got onto the score sheet after he wriggled himself into Curzon’s box and then poked the ball past Mason.


Curzon will be very disappointed with their second half performance after putting in a great first half showing.

Match Report by David Jones


Back to Fixtures