First Team



Southport FC

Sat 6 Oct 2018 | Emirates FA Cup | Home


Tamside Stadium




James Bell



It was 10 minutes into the game and nothing had really happened, then Adam Morgan got the ball in his own half and seeing the keeper off his line he launched an 45 yard effort goal-wards, the crowd were out of their seats just to see the ball hit the top of the net. But it gave Southport’s keeper Dan Hanford a fright.

With 15 minutes gone Southport were on the front foot pressing back Curzon with most of the play down Curzon’s left, Cameron Mason having to be on his toes to deal with the excellent crosses coming from Dion Charles.


Southport came the closest to opening the scoring on 18 minutes following a corner which was floated in deep to the far post, Southport’s Ryan Astles looked favourite to win the header but Chris Rowney competed well to head off the line, with both players going down after a clash.


Curzon’s reply came a minute later when they were awarded a free kick around 22 yards out.  Mason Fawns stepped up but hit his effort wide and high.


On 23 minutes Curzon broke well through Fawns, he played in Niall Cummins who in turn played in his striking partner Morgan. Morgan on the right side of the 18 yard box, curled his effort to the far post but it was superbly tipped away by the diving Hanford.


Morgan the busiest player for Curzon again looked dangerous inside Southport’s box, with Hanford closing him down, Morgan cleverly rounded Hanford but slipped before he could play in the supporting players and the chance went.


After an half an hour on the clock the game was even with both sides cancelling each other out but two separate injuries to Southport’s Jordan Richards and Curzon’s keeper Mason saw two long stoppages to the game. 


A third injury on the stroke of half time for Curzon saw James Baillie replace Daniel Morton  as Curzon were beginning to create a few more chances through Morgan and Joe Guest. With the referee James Bell indicating five minutes of added time, Curzon lost possession on the half way line, a quick ball forward found Dion Charles, who did well under pressure to slot past Mason to the far post to give Southport a half time lead in the tie.


Curzon were forced into double change for the start of the second half as Mason was replaced by sub keeper Ben Purdham who was making his debut for the club and striker Cummins who was replaced by Ryan Brooke.


The changes for Curzon and the momentum of Southport scoring late in the first half saw Southport dominate for the first 10 minutes of the second half as Curzon failed to get going. On 58 minutes Southport doubled their lead and gave Curzon a mountain to climb. A quick attack down’s Curzon’s left saw the ball put into Curzon’s box to find Jack Sampson who hit a low drive past Purdham.


When all seemed lost Curzon got back into the game through Adam Morgan, from defending a corner Purdham punched clear and Mason Fawns set off Baillie down the right, Baillie does well to pull the ball back and play in Adam Morgan, Morgan then curls a beauty inside Hanford’s far post to give Curzon a life-line.


The goal lifted Curzon and they pushed on, on 82 minutes Brooke found Morgan who cleverly reversed a pass to play in McJannett who’s low cross was deflected away for a corner.  From the resulting corner Brooke could only head onto the roof of the Southport’s net.


In the last eight minutes of normal time the game became very scrappy, with Southport desperate to hold on and Curzon desperate to grab an equaliser but both sides were making too many mistakes with five added minutes Curzon were given two more chances to draw level but never really troubled Hanford and Southport go through to the next round of the FA Cup.

Match Report by David Jones


Back to Fixtures