Leamington FC



First Team

Sat 13 Oct 2018 | National League North | Away


The Phillips 66 Community Stadium




Amy Fearn



It was more away day success for Curzon as they recorded a 1-0 away win over Leamington at the Phillips 66 Community Stadium.

The Nash recorded their fourth league away win of the season, as Adam Morgan’s early penalty was enough to seal all three points for John Flanagan’s side.

Curzon flew out the blocks in the early stages, and they were rewarded for their fast start five minutes in as Ryan Brooke was brought down in the box, earning his side a spot kick.

Morgan stepped up to the mark, and confidently converted the penalty to net his third goal in four games, since returning to the Tameside Stadium.

The early goal handed control to the Nash, as they dominated possession for the majority of the half.

After Cameron Mason picked up a concussion in last week’s defeat at home to Southport Ben Purdham was called into the Curzon sticks, and the youngster was handed his first bit of action on the half hour mark, saving well from an edge of the box effort.

The bobbly playing surface and blowing winds made it tough for Flanagan’s side to play their usual possession football, however they stuck at it and carried their lead into the break.

In the second period Curzon continued their intensity and nearly doubled their lead on the hour mark.

Morgan set himself from 20 yards and hit a fierce left footed effort which was well saved by Tony Breedan in the Leamington goal.

The hosts came close just after the hour mark as Jack Edwards hit an effort just wide of Purdham’s post.

The Nash responded well and continued to push as Oliver Crankshaw came agonisingly close to making it two.

A deflected Joe Guest cross fell to the feet of Crankshaw, whose effort from six yards was again brilliantly saved by Breedan, who clawed the effort from behind him off the line.

As the strong winds continued to blow and the Brakes piled on the pressure, the Nash defence refused to be blown over as they stood strong to deny the hosts any opening in the final stages.

Despite the late pressure Flanagan’s men held on to record their first win in four, moving them up one place to 15thin the league table.



Back to Fixtures