First Team



Chorley FC

Sat 29 Dec 2018 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Nathanael Cox



After suffering a Boxing Day defeat against local rivals Ashton United, manager Mark Bradshaw was looking to turn things around against high flying Chorley FC. Curzon made one change from the Boxing day fixture with Luke Wall replacing Louis Khoury in the starting eleven and Oliver Crankshaw coming back into the squad replacing Luke Merrill on the bench.

It was a quiet start but Curzon showed their intent early with an half effort from Mason Fawns on 3 minutes and Luke Wall on 5 minutes having a great effort from the edge of the box but Chorley keeper Tony McMillan had it covered.


Chorley replied by Elliott Newby having a half volley after a great knock down by Josh Wilson on 6 minutes.


But on 13 minutes Chorley took the lead, a simple cross from the right found Marcus Carver unmarked at the back post and he had time to pick his spot to head past Mason Cameron.


On 25 minutes after a lull in the game, Mason Fawns smashed the ball against Chorley’s post with McMillan beaten after Curzon were awarded a free kick just outside the box.

John O’Keefe came close on 28 minutes after he connected his header to a Matt Challoner’s cross from the right but luckily for Curzon it came back off Curzon’s post and away to safety. And a minute later Carver thought he had his second of the game but he was adjudged offside.


On 32 minutes with Chorley still piling on the pressure, Wilson forced a great save from Mason after a header from 6 yards out, was pushed onto the bar & over by Mason.


On 43 minutes Curzon nearly went level after Danny Shaw went on a 20 yard run from the back to slide in Luke Wall who just had the keeper to beat, his shot beat the keeper but came back off the near post when he deserved better.


Curzon went in at half time 1-0 down but would feel hard done by as they had hit Chorley’s woodwork twice.

Curzon came out for the second half determined to get back in the game and started to play with a bit more directness down the channels but just struggling with the final ball. But Chorley were still a threat and on 56 minutes Elliott Newby was free at the far post but he could only volley his effort from 8 yards over the bar.


With 20 minutes to go in the game both sides looked even, both trying to get hold of the game but without hurting one and another. Chorley were the first to make a change when Alex Newby replaced Josh Wilson. On 73 minutes Brooke was played in by Fawns but the keeper beat Brooke to the ball to clear any danger and  on 75 minutes Fawns tried an ambitious effort from around 25 yards but it went high over McMillan’s crossbar. 


Curzon made a double change hoping fresh legs from the youngsters Ryan Shenton and Oliver Crankshaw could find an equaliser but Chorley were holding firm.

On 84 minutes Chorley broke through Elliott Newby who split the defence with a great ball for Alex Newby to run onto, but Mason was out quickly and saved well from Alex Newby’s effort.


On 88 minutes Curzon won themselves a free kick which was delivered by Fawns, the ball dropped into the box and a mass of players tried to attack the ball looking more like a rugby scrum, but keeper McMillan managed to smother the ball.


Curzon had another chance to equalise on the stroke of full time when a free kick was awarded around 20 yards out but he could only put his effort over the crossbar.


A much better display by Curzon , especially in the second half against a team who now sit second in the division the early goal the difference.

Match Report by David Jones

Match Pictures by Matthew Lofthouse


Back to Fixtures