First Team



Ashton United

Wed 26 Dec 2018 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




James Bell



With pride of Ashton at stake, this game kicked off with the Robins trying to play at 100 MPH to unsettled Curzon, but Curzon played with patience and Mason Fawns hit the first goal bound effort which was deflected for a Curzon corner on 5 minutes. Fawns again tried to curl an effort past Luke Pilling from 18 yards on 9 minutes but the effort was to soft and Pilling collected it with ease.


But on 13 minutes, against the run of play the Robins hit Curzon with a sucker punch, a long ball from defence was flicked on by Sam Sheridan into the path of Ionut-Casian Anghel who held off Danny Shaw to slot past Cameron Mason from 17 yards.


Since the goal the Robins confidence grew and they started to control the game and on 20 minutes they won three corners within as many minutes, on the third corner the ball fell to Aaron Chalmers who hit a 30 yard effort which was deflected on the way forcing Mason into a good save.


For the second time in the game against the run of play, Curzon on 27 minutes got back into the game. Daniel Morton running onto a loose ball was fouled around 20 yards outside the Robins box.  Mason stepped up and curled his effort into the top right hand corner of Pilling’s goal to bring Curzon back on level terms.


Both teams went in at half time level, with the Robins being more pleased with the efforts that they had created especially the deliveries from the left by the impressive Josh Askew. As for Curzon it was time to re-group.


Curzon got off to the worse start for the second half when they brought down Matthew Chadwick on the edge of the box on 48 minutes. It was Chadwick who then slotted the free kick to Mason’s right post to allow the Robins to re-gain the lead.


The lead only lasted 4 minutes when, from a corner a mass scramble ascended in the Robins box with Curzon’s Danny Shaw getting the last touch to force the ball over the line.


On 58 minutes Ryan Brooke had a great chance to give Curzon the lead after he did well to hold off a defender to get a shot off, with Pilling beaten the ball clipped the far post and away to safety.


The best goal came on 65 minutes after a long ball out to the right found Chadwick out on the right, Askew busted a gut to get up and support, Chadwick finds him on the edge of the Curzon box and Askew smashes home from 18 yards to give the Robins the lead for the third time in the game.


Three minutes later it could have been four as Chadwick bursts into the Curzon box and hit a low shot but Mason does well to save with his feet.


Chadwick and the Robins did get their fourth when ex Curzon player Liam Tomsett was brought down in the same area for United’s second goal on 74 minutes, as for his 2nd Chadwick stepped up and smashes it past Mason to give Curzon a mountain to climb.


Curzon tried in to get back into the game and Chris Rowney had two good efforts the first was well saved the second was unlucky as it hit Pilling’s crossbar as nothing seemed to go right for Curzon.


Not the greatest start for new manager Mark Bradshaw who on his first home game, lose to the local rivals Ashton United who were the better team on the day.

Match Report by David Jones

Match Pictures by Matthew Lofthouse


Back to Fixtures