First Team



York City

Sat 5 Jan 2019 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Aaron Bannister



Curzon entertained York City for their first home game of 2019, Curzon getting off to a great start on New Year’s Day with an away win against local rivals Ashton United.


However manager Mark Bradshaw had to strengthen the squad after losing Danny Morton to FC United and Joe Guest who is emigrating to Australia,  also the injury to Danny Shaw. Bradshaw brought in 4 new players and recalled Oliver Thornley from Glossop North End.

For the first 10 minutes of the game, City were mainly camped inside Curzon’s half as Curzon struggled to settle, but Cameron Mason was only called on once to make a near post save after Liam Agnew set up Jordan Burrow for a shot.


On 11 minutes Curzon recorded their first shot after Ryan Brooke tried his luck form distance but it went narrowly wide.  York’s best chance came in the 13th minute following  a corner, after a melee of players attacking the ball it fell to Hamza Bencherif but he blasted it high and wide.


On 18 minutes City came close again after a free kick from the right, the ball fell to Burrow and his low drive took two attempts to save from Mason as Jake Wright was ready to pounce.


City looking like the side who were going to get a goal came close on 24 minutes after Burrows again got onto the end of a corner but his header fell straight into Mason’s arms.  But a minute later City broke through Agnew who crossed to Wright who placed it into Mason right hand corner but only to find the flag raised for offside.


In the last minutes of the half Curzon managed to put some pressure onto City but without really hurting them, the only effort coming on 42 minutes when Luke Wall hit a 25 yard effort which he could only drag wide. At the other end Thornley put in a superb block on 43 minutes to deny Agnew.


Both side went in at half time, City being the more disappointed at not having broken the deadlock however Curzon who had started to get back in the game will take the chance to re-group.


Curzon started the second half with more aggression, fighting for every ball and trying to stop City from playing, Brooke on 47 minutes managed to break but Joe Davis put in a great block on the edge of the box. On 56 minutes new signing Lewis Reilly recorded his first shot for Curzon but could only drag it wide. 


GOAL: On the hour mark Ryan Shenton put Curzon ahead after another good attack, the ball fell to Luke Wall who hit a low drive, City’s keeper Adam Barlett got down but could push the ball into the path of Ryan Shenton, who side footed the ball home.


On 67 minutes Curzon could of doubled their lead after Oliver Crankshaw was played into the City’s box, but he took the ball too wide and his effort went across the goal with nobody following in.


On 73 minutes Curzon broke again with pace, Crankshaw doing great down the left, as he cut in too the box, Brooke took on the shot  but it sailed past Bartlett’s far post.


On 80 minutes with both sides making changes Shenton tried his luck with a lob from 30 yards which Bartlett kept his eye on to catch on his line.


City’s reply on 85 minutes came from Burrow who got his head to the cross at the far post but his header dropped in front of Mason who collected with ease.


Curzon should have done better on 88 minutes after Brooke set wall away down the right, Wall did well to get past his marker to the by-line but instead of pulling it back he opted to shoot but only hit the side netting.


In added time, city threw everything at Curzon and with the ball inside Curzon’s box, Mohamud Ali nearly put the ball past his keeper Mason, but Mason made sure to push the ball behind for a corner, seconds later Josh Law put in a corner which was cleared at the near post. 


A much better performance in the second half by Curzon who made sure that they recorded their first back to back wins.


Match Report by David Jones



Back to Fixtures