First Team



Alfreton Town

Sat 9 Feb 2019 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




John Matthews



Both sides were struggling to settle in the first five minutes of the game and the strong wind was not helping either side. But on 7 minutes Alfreton took the lead after Josh Wilde crossed from the left to Reece Styche at the back post and he had time to chest it down and finish at the far post.


Curzon tried to hit back quickly when they were awarded a free kick from around 25 yards but the tall Town’s defence easily headed clear.


On 16 minutes Town were awarded a free kick themselves after Wilde was brought down, from the resulting free kick Styche was pulled up for being offside, Styche complained and complained for the next 3 minutes to the referee Mr John Matthews who in the end had enough of Styche dissent and showed him the red card.


The next person off was one of the assistant referee due to an injury on 26th minutes and there was a stoppage in play as he received some treatment. After 20 minutes an assistant referee was found which happened to be Alfreton’s kit lady.


As play on the 27th minute resumed Curzon continued to look poor even with the one man advantage and on the 33rd minute 10 man Alfreton went two up after Curzon’s captain Jonathon Hunt hesitated and allowed Wilde to control the ball inside the box and slot past Cameron Mason.


Curzon’s best bit of play came in the 39th minute when a cross from the right by Oliver Thornley was headed clear but dropped to Cameron McJannet but he could only hit his effort high over the crossbar.


10 man Alfreton still were commanding the game and came close to grabbing a third following a corner on 41 minute, it went to the far post and saw Dominic Smith just head wide of the post.


In the final minute of the half Curzon created two chances, a cross from the left by McJannet was wickedly deflected forcing keeper Sam Ramsbottom to back pedal before palming the ball away at the back post but no Curzon player were following in.


The final chance came when McJannet played in Luke Wall, Wall got into the box and once at the goal-line his cross was too high and long and the chance went begging.


At the start of the second half manager Mark Bradshaw made two changes bringing on Reece Deakin and Sean Miller for Chris Rowney and Jack O’Leary and it was an instant impact as Miller was involved to Curzon pulling two goals back within the first 2 minutes of the second half. 


The first coming on 46th minutes when Miller down the right whipped in a cross and Lewis Reilly was on hand to side foot home from 3 yards. A minute later another cross from the right but this time Miller was in the 6 yard box and his slight header hit a Town defender and into the net to draw Curzon level.


Town thought they had a third on 51 minutes but as the ball came into Curzon’s crowded box Mason was adjudged to be fouled and the goal was disallowed.


Curzon were now looking a completely different side with the introduction of the subs and the change of formation forcing Town back into their half time and then forcing successive corners, the second on 58 minutes which saw Oliver Crankshaw play a 1-2 before skipping past Joshua Clackstone and curling just over.


On 63 minutes Alfreton did well down their right but the ball into the box  was met by Curzon’s Thornton as no Town player had made a run into the box. 


Curzon looking the more likely to win the game but trying to force it too much, Wall chance on 75 minutes was well saved by Ramsbottom and 77 minutes Crankshaw and Deakin linked up well but Crankshaw’s effort floats high over the bar.


On 83 minutes Curzon finally got their goal that they had been pushing for, a great cross from the left was met by John McAtee who rose in the 6 yard box to powerfully head home.


Curzon could of gone further ahead on 85 minutes after a quick break saw McAtee play in Crankshaw, Crankshaw being brought down by keeper Ramsbottom to concede a penalty.


Ramsbottom luckily to stay one, guessed right for Crankshaw’s penalty saving pushing the ball away at the right post.


With 3 minutes of added time to the end of the game Alfreton tried in vain to grab an equaliser but Curzon held firm and grabbed all 3 points, finally breaking the ‘Manager of the Month’ curse!!!.

Match Report by David Jones


Back to Fixtures