Brackley Town



First Team

Sat 16 Feb 2019 | National League North | Away


St James Park




Samuel Barrott




In a game which had the possibility of seeing Mark Bradshaw’s men extend their run to eight unbeaten in the league, the day ended in disappointment as Curzon fell to defeat courtesy of a classy Brackley Town, by a margin of two goals to nil; thus seeing Brackley’s promotion bid helped hugely.

As the game got underway, the home side immediately stamped their own print on the game, controlling large percentages of the play, and having all of the early chances; mainly coming from the fantastic link up play between attackers, Walker and Nklovu. Various, optimistic efforts came from the home side early on, but they were unable to beat Cam Mason in the opening exchanges of the match.


As the game began to even out slightly, Curzon began to become quite complacent with the ball in midfield, playing some sloppy passes, to which the home side were very quick to pounce upon, and create chances for themselves.


As Brackley began to grow in confidence, they started to dictate the play, allowing the visitors very little of the ball, thus limiting them to playing long balls up to Crankshaw, to no avail. This level of dominance ultimately lead to Brackley’s first goal of the game, which came in the 14th minute courtesy of Carl Baker. The Northamptonshire side opened their account when Baker received the ball on the edge of the box, where he weaved his way through a flat-footed defence and struck a low shot across the body of Curzon keeper, Mason.


The frustration in the Curzon camp was evident when the skipper was put into the book for a reckless challenge on Brackley wide man, Fairlamb. From the resulting free kick, the ball was floated to the far post, where Curzon failed to deal with it. The only saving grace was the poor execution shown by the Brackley forwards.


As the first half continued to unfold, it appeared to be the Brackley show, with their attackers showing fantastic skill and pace going forward, especially evident from both Fairlamb, and Ndlovu. This fantastic play continued to create chances for the home side, but a strong first half from Cam Mason meant the deficit remained at only one as the first half came to a close. 


After what could be descried as a sluggish start to the game, Curzon had begun to establish themselves in the game as the second half begun. Various chances came from the wide positions; these coming from loan man, Olly Crankshaw mainly. However, the story of Curzon’s day continued as they failed to capitalise on any chances in which they managed to create for themselves.


As we moved deeper into the second half, Curzon began to run out of chances to get back into the fixture, squandering the few that they managed to create against the run of the game. The frustration in the lack of action was apparent, as Curzon’s performance became sloppy, and almost half-hearted in the ways that they went about their business.


On the stoke of the 53rd minute, it was Brackley Town who doubled their lead, through man-in-form, Carl Baker, netting his second of the game. The game came from a counter attack, that saw the ball delivered from out wide, only to be met by the right foot of Brackley’s number ten.


Brackley dominated the remainder of the game, standing strong at the back, thus limiting the visitors to what effect they could have on the match. With Curzon struggling to make any sort of impact on the second half, the game finished at 2-0, with Brackley further adding to their phenomenal promotion chase, whilst Curzon Ashton suffered defeat for the first time this calendar year. 

Match Report by Jack Earl


Back to Fixtures