First Team



Altrincham FC

Sat 23 Feb 2019 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Adam Williamson



On a lovely day for football and the pitch looking in fantastic condition at the Tameside Stadium both sides started brightly on 3 minutes the first chance fell to Alty after a short corner John Johnson burst into the box unleashing a shot which hit the side netting.


Two minutes later Curzon recorded their first effort when John McAtee hit a shot from just outside the box which keeper Anthony Thompson was lucky to see it bounce off his legs and away for a corner.


From the corner Alty were lucky to see the ball cleared after the ball was bouncing around the box finally out for a second corner, with Curzon starting to get a grip of the game.


On 8 minutes Curzon were awarded a free kick for a foul on Cameron McJannet, picking himself up he delivered a great ball into the box but Curzon could not capitalise. 


On 12 minutes it was Alty’s turn to put some pressure onto their hosts forcing a couple of corners which Curzon had defend carefully but it was a good first 15 minutes with both sides creating chances whilst playing some lovely football.


Johnson was looking dangerous for the visitors and for the second time in the game he found space on the edge of the box to get a shot away but this time Cameron Mason had it covered. 


On 25 minutes Johnson was again in the action when he put in a cross from the right which forced Mason to dive and palm the ball away but Mason could not do anything when on 30 minutes Alty took the lead through Johnson.


Not learning from the Alty’s first corner, Curzon allowed another short corner between Johnson and Yushfi Ceesay Johnson taking one touch on the return ball to smash it home to Mason’s top right hand corner, a great finish to spark up the game.


It only took 6 minutes for Alty to double their lead and the goal came from out of nowhere, the ball was played forward by full back Andrew White and eventually found Sean Williams on the edge of the box and he unleashed an unstoppable shot past Mason hitting the far post before nestling into the opposite corner to firmly put Alty in control of the game.


Curzon’s reaction to the setback was positive forcing a corner and creating a couple of long range efforts but none trouble Thompson in the Alty goal.


Alty should have gone 3 up on 43 minutes after Ceesay ghosted past McJannet to the by-line before pulling the ball back for the incoming Johnson but Johnson could only blaze his shot over the crossbar from 6 yards out.


Alty got off to a great start in the second half when on 47 minutes a mistake from Sean Miller allowed Joe Piggott to collect the ball 20 yards from goal then run at Mason’s goal unchallenged before slotting the ball past the advancing Mason.


3 minutes later Alty made sure that Curzon were not to make another heroic come after they hit their 4th goal of the afternoon. Ceesay picked up the ball around 20 yards from goal, captain Jonathon Hunt lost out in a challenge with Ceesay who then slotted past Mason from 18 yards.


On 54 minutes Piggott made sure that Curzon were not going to get back into the game when he recorded his 2nd goal of the game and Alty’s 5th. Piggott found space in the box on the left and as Mason advanced Piggott slipped the ball between his legs into an empty net. 


Curzon made a triple change on 59 minutes and Alty made two changes but Alty were still in complete control of the game, on 70 minutes sub Simon Richmond was unlucky to see his effort come back off the post.


2 minutes later Piggott recorded his hat-trick and Alty’s 6th goal of the afternoon when he had the easy task from 18 yards to slot past Mason.  This was Curzon’s heaviest defeat and if not for Mason it could have been 7 or 8 as he made two great saves from Johnson & Williams on 72 mins and 80 respectively. 


Curzon’s only real good chance to grab a consolation goal came on 84 minutes after the were awarded a free kick around 25 yards from goal but Millers effort could only hit the defensive wall.


On 89 minute Alty could have made it 7 after they were awarded a free kick inside the ‘D’ after Danny Shaw brought down his marker.  Johnson stepped up but could only hit the crossbar.


It wasn’t Curzon’s day being completely outplayed by Alty in the second half. 

Match Reprot by David Jones


Back to Fixtures