First Team



Leamington FC

Sat 6 Apr 2019 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Andrew Kitchen





On a beautiful Saturday with the pitch looking in immaculate condition both sides had a very good reason for going for all three points.  Leamington looking for the points to make them safe from relegation and Curzon looking to get themselves back to winning ways.


Curzon got off to a bright start with Luke Wall breaking down the left on 3 minutes to deliver a telling cross for Lewis Reilly to attack but he was beaten to the ball by his marker James Mace, but only back out to Wall, Wall crossed again this time Reilly got his head to the cross and forced keeper Tony Breeden to tip over his cross bar.

On 7 minutes Breeden had to tip the ball over his crossbar again after a long-range effort from Cameron McJannet and from the following corner Ryan Brooke saw his header come back off the post, as Curzon applied good pressure in the early stages.


It was 11 minutes before Leamington recorded their first shot on target, when Jordan Murphy played an one-two with Colby Bishop on the edge of the Curzon box, but he fired his shot straight into the arms of Cameron Mason in the Curzon goal.


On 14 minutes Curzon made their early pressure pay when they took the lead, a cross from the right into the Leamington box was only cleared to the edge of their own 18-yard line where McJannet was on hand to chest the ball down and volley home from 16 yards.


Leamington tried to bounce back early through Ahmed Obeng when he wriggles past two defenders inside the Curzon box but he couldn’t get past a third, but won a corner for his side.


On 27 minutes Curzon came close to grabbing a second after good play down the right, the ball played into the box found Reilly who laid ball into the path of John McAtee on the edge of the box but his effort was deflected wide for a corner.


On the half an hour mark McAtee tried his luck from outside the box which forced Breeden down to his near post, Wall latched onto the loose ball and Breeden then produced a great block to deny him a goal.


In the last 10 minutes of the 1st half, Leamington came back into the game and piled some good pressure onto the Curzon back four and came close to grabbing an equaliser on 42 minutes when Jamie Hood rose to meet a cross from the right only to see his header hit the Curzon’s crossbar.


HT 1-0

In the second half Leamington came fast out of their blocks with Murphy attacking down the right and winning his side a corner, from the resulting corner a scramble occurred with Leamington claiming a penalty for a high foot to the head of one of their players, but the referee Mr. Andrew Kitchen waived away the claim.


Curzon then settled and on 52 minutes and McJannet came close to grabbing his second goal of the game when he rose to meet a Wall cross from the left, but he could only head wide.


On 55 minutes Curzon had a claim for a penalty after a Joel Senior cross from the right found Wall at the back post and it seemed that the referee was the only one who didn’t see the push by Junior English on Wall to send him to the ground and the chance go by.


Curzon made their first change on the hour mark with Louis Wardle replacing Reece Deakin and within 2 minutes Wardle was found on the back post with a cross from McAtee on the left, but he couldn’t direct his effort on target.


The game coming into the final stages became a bit of a quiet affair but still in the balance, but Curzon squander a great chance to make it 2-0 after Wardle broke down the right and delivered a low cross which was met by Reilly but he tamely hit his effort straight to Breeden.


On 81 minutes Leamington were reduced to 10 men after substitute Jamie Hood was sent off for an unknown reason but within a minute Leamington grabbed an unlikely equaliser after Colby Bishop was allowed space inside the Curzon box to head home from 6 yards.


On 84 minutes the sides were evened up after Curzon sub Ryan Shenton was shown the second card of the afternoon by Mr. Kitchen for a cynical foul on his opponent.


On the stroke of full time McAtee was set free down the right, he tried to chip the keeper Breeden from a tight angle but got it all wrong, hitting it over the crossbar.


The final chance of the game fell to Leamington when substitute Jack Lane hit a long-range effort which was deflected but luckily it went straight into Mason’s arms.


Both sides shared the points but Curzon will be the most disappointed with the chances they created and how the dominated the majority of the game with some good performances all-round the team.

Match Reprot by David Jones


Back to Fixtures