AFC Telford



First Team

Sat 13 Apr 2019 | National League North | Away


New Bucks Head Stadium




Richard Aspinall



On a breezy afternoon in the midlands, Telford were the ones to take the points and boost their promotion chances, as Mark Bradshaw’s Curzon Ashton fell to a fourth defeat in five in the league.

In the opening exchanges of the game, Curzon seemed to start brightly, with Olly Crankshaw and Luke Wall linking up well down the right-hand side and looking dangerous when moving forward. However, this threat did not last long as Telford quickly applied a pressure of their own. Curzon’s biggest threat, the wide men, were marshalled impeccably well from the opening, making it incredibly hard to break through and create chances early doors. This limited Curzon’s in the opening exchanges, forcing them into long shots, and looking for the miracle ball.


As we progressed through the first half, Telford began to get a foothold in the game, looking dangerous when going forward from all angles. On the stroke of the 22nd minute, it was Cam Mason keeping the visitors in the game, when his outstretched hand kept out a point-blank headed effort. 


In response to the pressure created by Telford, Curzon stood resilient for some time, dealing with the pressure with real ease. A chance then came for Curzon when John McAtee broke free, beating four players through the middle, and worming his way into the box, but his shot was prevented at the final hurdle. This burst forward highlighted what a strong threat Curzon look when moving forward with pace, just a stroke of luck being the missing factor.


The first goal came for the hosts just before the half and hour mark. This came when a controversially awarded free-kick was excellently executed in front of a large following of home supporters. Their lead was doubled less than a minute later when a loose ball into the danger area was not dealt with, and the Telford full-back was able to fire it home past a helpless Cam Mason.

These goals in quick succession came as a shock to a Curzon side who had probably thought they’d played quite well leading up to those moments. This really took the sting out of Curzon’s performance, and ultimately lead to a decline in momentum and intensity, something that was heavily noticeable in the 2nd half.


As the second half got underway, it was apparent that the life had been sucked out of this Curzon side. There appeared to be very little drive in the players, and Telford capitalised, scoring their third of the afternoon just five minutes after play had recommenced. After that, the chances were very few and far between for the visitors, with Telford having large percentages of the play, and Curzon boasting very little firepower to run at Telford and cause them any real discomfort.


With 15 minutes to go, Curzon were awarded a penalty thanks to a run of Olly Crankshaw leading to the loanee earning a penalty. Olly slotted the penalty, which was celebrated by a couple of optimistic cheers from the travelling Nash supporters, but the contest itself seemed to be over.


The ref called the game to a close with the final score at 3-1. This result say Telford add to their promotion chase, whilst it saw Curzon add another defeat to an already poor run of recent results. Although this may be, the club now has league safety, and this defeat can be used as a huge experience for this very young squad to learn from.


Match Report by Jack Earl



Back to Fixtures