Stockport County



First Team

Mon 22 Apr 2019 | National League North | Away


Edgeley Park




Benjamin Speedie




It was a hard fought defeat for the Nash on Bank Holiday Monday as they were beat 2-0 by title chasing front runners Stockport County at Edgeley Park. 


County opened the scoring in the early part of the first half through Ashley Palmer. The hosts were able to double their lead in the first half as a well worked move saw Warburton finish well past a helpless Mason for the title contenders second. The Nash were unable to turn their dangerous threat on the break into a goal as County secured the three points after a hard fought second half from the Nash. 


It was County who started the strongest of the two sides in the opening stages and Cameron Mason was called into his first bit of action two minutes in. 


This early pressure from the Hatters resulted in an early goal for the hosts. A corner from the left found Ashley Palmer beyond the far post seeing the centre half volley his effort into the top corner leaving Cameron Mason frustrated. 


The early County goal served as a wake-up call for the Nash as they started to get their foot in the game and dominate some possession of their own. McJannet saw his deflected effort from twenty yards out go close of the right post. 


An outrageous goal kick from Cameron Mason shortly after nearly levelled the scoring. Masons bouncing effort required Hinchliffe in the County goal to have his wits about him, as County’s number one had to tip over on the bounce for the third corner of the match for the Nash. 


County doubled their lead against the run of play as Warburton broke his goal drought for the Hatters as he scored his first goal in twelve matches. Warburton played the ball to the right hand side, and then connected first time from Kirbys cross to put the hosts 2-0 up. 


Both goalkeepers were called into action shortly before the half time whistle. Turnbull’s first- time shot from outside the box was saved by the legs of Mason.


Even with Nash trailing the title challengers they could hold their head high with their first half performance as there was stages of dominance from Curzon. 


County applied heavy pressure in the opening sequences of the second half. Five minutes into the second half saw the hosts hit the bar. Duxbury’s delivery from the left hit the Nash’s woodwork with nothing that Mason could have done to stop the effort. 


The best chance of the second half came for the hosts halfway through the second half. Mulhern squared the ball from the right to Stephenson, who tapped his effort wide of an open net leaving the stadium in awe and disbelief not knowing how he didn’t add another goal for the hosts. 


The Nash saw a constant barrage of pressure throughout the second half but could not be broken down leaving County frustrated and the final score ending 2-0. The bad run of the form in the league continued for the Nash as they could not turn defence into attack against a strong Stockport County who are now the title race favourites.


The Nash finish off their season at home on the 27th of April as they play host to playoff side Spennymoor.




Match Report : Dean Janahi



Back to Fixtures