First Team



Spennymoor Town

Sat 27 Apr 2019 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




Amy Fern



In football they have an old saying “Your only as good as your last game” for Curzon they will be hoping to put in a good performance against promotion hopefuls Spennymoor Town so that they can finish the season on a high and then prepare for another season in the National League North.

As for the visitors, Spennymoor they have it all to play for, as a victory at the Tameside stadium and defeat for Brackley will secure them an automatic semi-final place in the play-offs.

In the first 10 minutes of the game Spennymoor looked nervous as Curzon started the brightest with some good attacking moves just falling short in the final third.


But on 17 minutes Town were awarded their 1st corner of the game, as it came in a weak header from Curzon’s Captain Oliver Thornley allowed the ball to be headed back in front of goal by Scott Harrison to Glen Taylor who barged keeper Cameron Mason to head home and give Town a unexpected lead.


As the game entered the half an hour mark Town were slowly getting control of the game as Curzon, working hard but struggling to keep the ball, but as for chances both keepers were just spectators.


On 35 minutes the next chance of the game came after Harrison headed Town corner just wide of Mason’s right hand post.


On 39 minutes Curzon finally made some space for Luke Wall to exploit but nobody hit the box for his cross except for Oliver Crankshaw who stretched out a high foot which the referee Amy Fearn blew for dangerous play.

A minute later on 40 minutes Curzon’s Reece Deakin receives the ball after Chris Rowney capitalised on a defensive mistake from Town but Deakin lost his composure and hit his effort wide of the target.


On 44 minutes Curzon’s John McAtee again took advantage of another Town defensive mistake and struck a great effort goal bound which keeper Matthew Gould had to see over his crossbar.


But on the stroke of half time Town’s Robert Ramshaw found the advancing right fullback Jacob Hibbs who got behind the Curzon’s defence and dinked the ball over the advancing keeper Mason, to score his first goal for the club but more importantly giving Town a two goal cushion going into the break.

Eight minutes after the restart it was Curzon who created the first chance of the second half when Luke Wall playing a 1-2 on the edge of the Town’s box hit a low effort across Gould’s box just going inches wide of the far post.


On 50 minutes Gould made a hash of his clearance which saw the ball fall to Rowney, but Rowney’s effort was well blocked but for all Curzon early dominance of the second half Spennymoor grabbed a third goal and killed off the game when Ramshaw was found down the Curzon’s left, he entered the box and rounded Mason before slotting home for Town’s third.

On 57 minutes Taylor nearly grabbed his second and Town’s fourth when he connected to a free kick from the left hand side of the Curzon box but his effort just flashed past Mason’s far post.


With the game won Town were not giving it 100% with the play-offs in mind and Curzon struggling, Town still had time to grab a fourth goal, on 67 minutes an corner from the right was chested down by make-shift centre back Ryan Brooke but unfortunately before he could clear it Scott Harrison nipped in and smashed the ball home. 


On 70 minutes Curzon had a glimpse at goal when a corner delivered by Wall was met by full back Jack O’Leary at the back post who’s header was well saved by Gould in the Town’s goal.


On 77 minutes Gould pulled off a double saved after McAtee broke into Town’s box hitting a low shot which Gould got down well too, but he quickly got up to block the rebound effort from Crankshaw.

On 87 minutes sub Adam Boyes inflicted misery onto Curzon’ final home game by hitting Town’s fifth of the game when a cross from the right found him unmarked near the back post to calmly slot home from 12 yards.


In added time at the end of the game Joel Senior made on a mazy run and tried to grab an consolation goal for Curzon but Gould made a good save to his left to secure a clean sheet.


For Curzon a good positive start to each half but once conceding they fell away and Spennymoor cruised to an easy victory. 


Match Report by David Jones


Back to Fixtures