Southport FC



First Team

Tue 30 Oct 2018 | National League North | Away


Merseyrail Community Stadium




Nathanael Cox



It was seaside stalemate for the Nash on Tuesday night as they played out a 2-2 draw at Haig Avenue with Southport.


Port opened the scoring in the first half through captain David Morgan, before two quick fire second half strikes from Olly Crankshaw and Ryan Brooke put Curzon ahead. The hosts reacted well however and netted an equaliser through Dion Charles to make sure the points were shared.


It was Port who started the strongest of the two sides and Cameron Mason was called into his first bit of action five minutes in.


Charles advanced down the right and whipped in a fierce ball. Fortunately for the Nash Mason was equal to the delivery and confidently punched away to safety.


With his side rock bottom of the National League North, Southport manager, Liam Watson needed a reaction from his side and this is what he got through Captain Morgan. Charles again delivered from the right and found Morgan, who set himself well and finished past Mason to open the scoring.


The Nash were struggling to impose any real threat on the hosts, as they continued to pile the pressure on Flanagan’s side.


Jack Sampson was the latest man to threaten the Nash goal as his shot from the edge of the box flew wide of the mark.


Curzon held on and were fairly lucky to go in at the break just one behind.


Things went from bad to worse for the Nash at the start of the second half as James Baillie was forced off with a serious injury. Baillie was stretchered off after a lengthy stoppage and replaced by Muhammed Ali.


Despite the setback Flanagan’s side reacted well and netted the equaliser just minutes later.


Crankshaw found space on the edge of the box and hit a low effort past Dan Hanford to net his third goal of the season.


The goal seemed to give the Nash a new lease of life and they completed the turnaround with just over 15 minutes left on the clock.


A high ball into the Southport box was pounced on by Brooke who converted from six yards, to also recorded his third goal of the campaign, making him Curzon’s joint top goal scorer with Crankshaw in the process.


Unfortunately for Curzon their lead didn’t last long as Charles brought the scores level minutes later.


The Port winger cut in from the right and steered an effort inside the near post to bring his side level with 10 minutes left.


Despite the referee adding on NINE minutes of stoppage time, neither side were able to net a third and both left Haig Avenue with a point.


The draw leaves the Nash in 11th going into Saturday’s local derby with Stockport County and extends their unbeaten run away from home to five games in all competitions.



Match Report: Josh Lees


Back to Fixtures