First Team



Mossley AFC

Mon 15 Apr 2019 | Manchester Premier Cup | Home


Hyde United




Simon Mather



Curzon Ashton FC defeat Mossley at Ewen Fields to lift the Manchester Premier Cup for the 9th time in their history

On a bitterly cold evening, it was Curzon taking away the glory in the Manchester Premier Cup, after a hard fought 3-1 victory over Mossley AFC.


The opening exchanges of the game saw Curzon bring intensity from the very first kick, with Deakin and McAtee looking very lively and hard to deal with from the onset. With this opening dominance saw the chances come flooding in for Curzon, just requiring one ounce of luck to make that all important difference.

The opening goal of the final came from Curzon’s Ryan Brooke, who latched on to a tremendously weighted long ball, and excellently finished to the bottom right hand corner, giving the National League North side the lead after 19 minutes.


With the lead, Curzon only grew in confidence, continuing to cause problems for the Mossley defense when moving forward. However, the Mossley defense continued with their persistence in playing a high line and waiting for the Curzon error, which paid off time and time again for the opposition. 


With this persistence came an opening chance for Mossley after a bit of a scramble saw the ball fall to Max Leonard, who converted his chance on the half-volley, bringing the sides level just before the half-time whistle.

With the second half underway, it was apparent that Curzon were not settling with what they had offered so far. They began the 2nd half with much more intensity, this allowing them to create early chances through Reece Deakin.


Early on in the second half, the difference in quality began to show, as Mossley tired and revered to a couple of challenges off the pace. This resulted in the referee having words with some.


The second half continued to be a good one for Curzon, with various breaks away causing heaps of pressure for the Mossley back line however, this did not stop Mossley from the odd break against the play. A quick counter attack saw Mossley break down the left-hand side, and force a shot down to Cam Mason’s left, which saw him produce what was arguably one of the saves of the season and prevent Mossley from taking the lead.

Curzon’s second half breakthrough came when Luke Wall whipped in a dangerous cross that was originally dealt with, however loanee Wardle was able to flick the rebound out of the reach of the goalkeeper, and grab his first goal for The Nash, sending him and his teammates, along with a fantastic following, into complete jubilation.


With this saw a complete change in momentum, in favor of Curzon Ashton. A quick attack saw Ollenshaw make a vital save from Wall’s effort to prevent the tie being put completely to bed. As we moved into the final ten minutes of the game, the chances continued for Curzon, seeing the likes of Wardle and Brooke firing over on multiple occasions.


With five minutes to go, Mossley piled on the pressure in the hope of forcing a late comeback, however Curzon’s back line stood very strong and dealt with the issue. 


With just 4 minutes to go, Duffy fired over from close range, much to the delight of the Curzon defence who’d allowed him too much space to get the shot away. With this saw a quick break by Luke Wall, who went on his own, beating countless players in his path, which then saw him cut in and slot the ball past the goalkeeper to make it 3-1 and clinch the title.


With this saw all the remaining life in the Mossley side painstakingly sucked out of them. Luke Wall retrieved the ball and headed to the corner to see out the final moments of the game. The referee blew for full time, with Curzon 3-1 winners. This provoked fantastic scenes for the Curzon players, which were accompanied by phenomenal celebrations on the terraces. 

All in all this was a fantastic day for Curzon Ashton Football Club, and one in which saw many moods lifted, and emotion like we have not seen in a long time. This was a win that the club needed, and the playing and managing staff certainly delivered.


Match Report by Jack Earl



Back to Fixtures