Mens First Team



Chester FC

Mon 2 Sep 2019 | National League North | Home


Tameside Stadium




Jon Kenny



Curzon Ashton’s sloppiness at the start of both halves cost them dearly as Chester inflicted their fourth defeat of the season at a murky Tameside Stadium.


Matty Hughes gave the visitors the lead after five minutes only for Matt Regan to equalise with a superb header in a first half largely dominated by the Nash.


But they were undone by Chester’s fast start to the second half as goals from Akwasi Asante and Kevin Roberts within six minutes of the restart gave the promotion hopefuls an unassailable lead.


Mark Bradshaw made one change from Saturday’s late defeat at Guiseley. Robbie Evans – who had been ever-present in the Nash midfield – faces a lengthy spell on the sidelines after fracturing his ankle in that game and was replaced by Jack Banister, who had looked lively in his brief appearances so far this season.


The visitors were coming off their first loss of the season in a 2-1 reverse to Spennymoor Town on Saturday and got off to the perfect start to put that result behind them when Hughes pounced on Simon Grand’s knockdown to give them an early lead.


Chester were well on top, but the momentum swiftly altered 20 minutes in when Regan met Andy Halls’ cross and directed a terrific looping header into the corner. 


Curzon were transformed from that moment, looking like they could score again at any moment, but will rue not making their pressure pay as Chester hung on until half time.


After some no doubt testy words from co-managers Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley, The Seals started the second half much more aggressively and Asante took advantage of some sleepy Curzon marking to drill home his sixth goal of the season from Bradley Jackson’s cut back.


And their one-goal advantage was quickly doubled as Roberts evaded his marker to meet Joel Taylor’s corner with a firm header which flashed past Mason at his near post.


Were it not for Mason in the Curzon goal, though, the scoreline could have looked a lot worse as he pulled off two outstanding saves to deny Hughes and Jackson.


The hosts did have their chances to get back into the game; Isaac Sinclair shooting just wide after sitting down two Chester defenders and Olly Thornley seeing his shot cleared off the line by opposing captain Scott Burton. 


But Curzon couldn’t find a game-changing breakthrough like they did in the first half and head into Saturday’s trip to Alfreton Town without a win in their last five games.


Match Report by Sam Hendry


Back to Fixtures