Mens First Team



AFC Telford

Sat 20 Oct 2018 | National League North | Home


Tamside Stadium




John Matthews




Curzon got off to a great start when Ryan Brooke put them ahead after only 4 minutes, in the first couple of minutes of the game Telford were awarded the first corner of the game which Curzon cleared with ease only to go up the other end and win a corner for themselves.


From the resulting corner the ball fell to Brooke with his back to goal, once under control he turned and hit a low shot past Max Bromley to his far post.


Four minutes later Brooke came close again with an audacious effort from around 25 yards out only just creeping above the cross bar.  Curzon were full of confidence and on 11 minutes a defence splitting pass caught out Telford but Curzon’s striker Adam Morgan just could not get onto the end of the pass.


Telford looked shaken by the early goal, struggling to get back in the game, but Curzon denied them any time or space with Telford getting frustrated and giving away a lot of free kicks. 


Oliver Crankshaw operating down Curzon’s right started to put pressure onto his marker Zak Lilly on 18 minutes he closed him down early winning the ball and setting up a chance only to see his cross blocked, then two minutes later putting Lilly under pressure again, which saw Lilly deliver a poor back pass, going out for a corner for Curzon.


With half an hour gone Curzon were the dominate side, playing some great football, winning the second ball and forcing Telford to defend, the only thing missing was the second goal.


On 34 minutes Telford were reduced to 10 men, after winning a corner and waiting for the ball to delivered, Jan McAtee was adjudged by the referee John Matthews to elbow Curzon’s keeper Cameron Mason, knocking him to the ground.


On 40 minutes Curzon were making the extra man count as they put the pressure onto Telford, the ball finds Brooke inside the box, he tried his luck again with a turn and shot but it was deflected to the far post where Crankshaw failed to convert.


On 45 minutes Brooke was close to getting his second goal of the game after great work by Connor Hughes down Curzon’s left whipping in a near post cross which was met by Brooke but Bromley was well positioned to catch the header.


Curzon went into the break one goal to the good and manager John Flanagan would be well pleased with the 1sthalf performance as Curzon dominated and Telford struggling to get to grips of Curzon.


In the second half Telford make a change and changed formation but still leaving two up front as they looked to get back into the game. On 50 minutes Curzon’s Danny Shaw put his own side under pressure after giving away a free kick on the edge of the box.


The free kick was poor from Daryl Knights as it hit the wall and allowed Curzon to break quickly, Morgan free on the right and screaming for the ball, but by the time he receives the ball Telford have plenty of defenders back behind the ball.


On 57 minutes Telford created their best chance of the game, Ellis Deeney creates a chance for James McQuilkin who hits a pile driver from around 25 yards towards Mason in the Curzon goal, Mason could only block the shot as it fell to substitute Amari Morgan-Smith  who could only head over from 6 yards.


But the 10 man Telford got back into the game 4 minutes later when on 61 minutes Chris Rowney lost possession to Deeney, he in turn gets the ball to Morgan-Smith and a quick ball through to Andre Brown see him lash the ball high past Mason into Curzon’s net.


But the lead only lasted 4 minutes when Curzon won a corner on 65 minutes, the cross into the box was flapped at by keeper Bromley and it fell the McJannett who scrambled the ball over the line.


With 15 minutes to go Telford made a double change which saw their best attacking midfielder leave the field in McQuilkin, Curzon also make changes bring on Niall Cummins & Ali Mohamud for Brooke & Hughes respectively.


For the last 15 minutes Telford showed great character and didn’t look like a side with only 10 men as they push looking for the equaliser however Curzon seemed content to try a keep their lead, their best move on getting a 3rd goal coming on 85th minute when Joe Guest played in Morgan on the edge of the box but Morgan hit his effort high over the crossbar. 


At the end of the 90 minutes the referee indicated an extra 5 minutes to make the home fans wait a little longer to see their side win at home for the 1st time this season.


Although Telford made a great effort in the second half Curzon did enough to deserve their 1st home win of the season which sees them push up 5 places to 10th.

Match Report by David Jones


Back to Fixtures