Basford United



Mens First Team

Sat 24 Nov 2018 | Buildbase FA Trophy | Away


Mill Street Playing Field




Samuel Barrott




It was FA Trophy disappointment for the Nash as they fell at the first hurdle, as they defeated 2-1 away at Basford United.


Two early goals from the hosts through Liam Hearn and Jack Thomas proved too much for the Nash, and despite a late wonder strike from Ryan Brooke, John Flanagan’s side bowed out of the Trophy in the Third qualifying round for the third time in three seasons.


The hosts are the top scoring side between steps one and four this season, and it didn’t take them long to find the net in the cup tie.


Mohamud Ali tripped Hearn over in the box and gave the referee no option but to point to the spot. Hearn stepped up himself and converted the spot kick to give his side an early lead.


Things went from bad to worse for the Nash moments later as Basford doubled their lead. A loose ball in the box fell to Thomas and he smashed home past Mason to extend his side’s lead. A torrid start for the Nash.


The hosts did not rest on their lead and nearly had their third with 20 minutes left in the first half, however fortunately for Curzon Cameron McJannett made a superb goal line clearance to keep his side in the game.


After a slow start John Flanagan’s side starting to take control of the game. Niall Cummins came close on the half hour mark as his header from 10 yards out forced a good save from Kieran Preston.


The Basford number one was called into action a minute later, as the resulting corner was met by the head of Jonathan Hunt who was also well denied by Preston to keep the score at 2-0.


Right on the stroke of half time Hunt came close again, this time being denied by the woodwork as he crashed a header into the post.


Despite the flurry of chances, the Nash went into the break still two goals behind.


In spite of Curzon’s domination at the end of the first half it was the hosts who came close early on in the second, as another goal line clearance, this time from Chris Rowney denied Hearn his second of the afternoon and his team’s third.


Cameron Mason was also on hand to deny Basford a third as he made to superb saves to deny Thomas and James Reid.


The hosts would live to rue their missed chances as moments later Curzon halved the two goal deficit. 


Brooke found space 20 yards from goal and hit a thunderous effort into the top corner, netting his seventh goal of the season, and the Nash a way back into the game.


As John Flanagan’s side looked to push for a late equaliser Brooke seemed to be the outlet as he came close twice, however once again for the hosts Preston was on hand to deny the Nash number 10 on both occasions.


Curzon’s late push was not enough however, as the hosts secured the win to book their place in the next round of the FA Trophy.

Match Report by Josh Lees


Back to Fixtures