Guiseley FC



Mens First Team

Sat 31 Aug 2019 | National League North | Away


Nethermoor Park




Jonny Irwin



Curzon Ashton left Guiseley a frustrated side after a late Kaine Felix strike gave the hosts a narrow win.

Up to that point The Nash had done a sterling job keeping the league's top scorer Aaron Martin quiet and the visitors will rue a series of missed chances in the second half.


But they were punished with only seven minutes left when Felix pounced at the third attempt after Guiseley had twice seen shots come off the woodwork. 


Having netted the equaliser against Spennymoor Town, Callum Saunders was named in the starting line-up at the expense of Michael Elstone while Matt Regan also returned after missing Monday's game through injury.


Guiseley were the first to threaten when Lee Shaw turned away from Regan inside the box only and blasted a shot wide of Cam Mason's left hand post with only the 'keeper to beat


A great chance passed up by the hosts, and they struggled to break down a well organised Curzon defence for the rest of the half with Martin - already in double figures for goals this season - committing more fouls than he had touches in front of goal.


After negotiating the first half safely, Curzon cranked the pressure up at the start of the second, Sean Miller flashing a shot wide as a sign of things to come.


Ten minutes into the half and two chances fell the way of the Nash, first when a neat move down the right wing involving Nicky Wroe and Isaac Sinclair released Miller into the box and his effort from an acute angle was tipped wide by Guiseley 'keeper George Sykes-Kenworthy.


From the resulting corner, Regan stooped to reach the cross and sent a header inches wide.


Shortly after it was that man Miller threatening again with his best chance yet after Isaac Sinclair played him in down the right channel. He could have taken it on with his right but decided instead to cut back onto his weaker left and his shot was well blocked by the 'keeper.


As time began to run out, both teams sensed the opportunity to take all three points and it was Guiseley who struck the killer blow with 83 minutes played. 


Somehow, Sam Scrivens only hit the post when presented with an open goal three yards out and Mason then pulled off a stupendous save to tip Aram Soleman's follow up effort onto the crossbar. But Guiseley were not to be denied as Felix slammed the ball home at the third time of asking. 


It was a cruel blow for the Nash who had looked the stronger team in the second half, but they returned to Tameside having dropped to 15th and without a win in their last four games.


Match Report by Sam Hendry



Back to Fixtures