Boston United



Mens First Team

Tue 7 Jan 2020 | National League North | Away


Jakemans Stadium




Scott Tallis




Curzon Ashton earned a valuable point on the road as they played out a goalless, yet eventful draw with Boston United. 


James Baillie had a golden opportunity late on to snatch all three points but blasted over the bar after being set up by the excellent Connor Dimaio. 


Curzon had survived a couple scares before that; Jordan Thewlis’ thunderbolt struck the underside of the crossbar and referee Scott Tallis waved away a strong penalty shout against Danny Shaw.


But a point was just reward after another committed display against play-off candidates and sets the team up nicely ahead of Saturday’s clash away to Blyth Spartans.


Manager Mark Bradshaw made only one change to the side which were beaten by Alfreton Town at the weekend. Sean Miller dropped out after fracturing a bone in his foot during that game and the Nash’s top scorer now faces an extended spell on the sidelines. Robbie Evans took his place after recovering from an illness.


The hosts had an early chance to take the lead when Jake Wright headed over from a corner and while Boston had plenty of possession in the first half, they failed to do much with it against a well-organised Curzon defence.


Dimaio was the visitor’s most creative outlet throughout and he often lit up the Jakemans stadium with regular showings of fantastic close control. 


Josh Askew was almost released into the box from one Dimaio through ball while another pinpoint pass from the Stockport loanee ended with the ball in the net only for the linesman to raise his offside flag.


It took until first half injury time for Boston to test Cam Mason and when he comfortably fielded Jay Rollins’ effort that was the signal for half time.


Boston – who have only lost at home once all season – started the second half strongly and Mason showed quick reactions to change direction and keep out Brad Abbot’s deflected shot.


Thewlis then came closest to a goal when he rattled the underside of the bar from 25 yards. Boston players rushed in to attack the rebound, but Mason was up quickly to make a crucial block and keep the scores level.


Tunde Bayode, signed on loan from Burnley for the remainder of the season, came on in the second half for Andrew Scott and he showed some nice touches and plenty of endeavour on his Nash debut.


Perhaps the biggest let off came when Nicky Walker tumbled to the ground under a challenge from Shaw. Despite howling protests from the stands and some worried Nash faces, the referee waved play on and Curzon should have made the hosts pay in a frantic final five minutes.


Dimaio had already flashed a shot wide before he danced his way into the Boston box. Under pressure from three defenders, he cleverly picked out the onrushing Baillie six yards out but slightly off balance, he couldn’t keep his shot down meaning Curzon had to settle for a point they surely would have accepted before the game.


Match Report by Sam Hendry


Back to Fixtures