Match Report: Southport

25 Feb 2018 in News

Match Report: Southport Match Report: Southport

It was a day to forget at the seaside for the Nash as John Flanagan and his side were defeated by Southport 3-1 at a sunny Haig Avenue.

Things got off to a brilliant start for Curzon, as they opened the scoring within the first 15 minutes through Matt Regan. However, two quick goals from the hosts, through Jason Gilchrist and a Danny Shaw own goal gave them the lead at the break. Elliott Osbourne then netted a third for Port in second half injury time to give his side the win and send the Nash back to the Tameside Stadium pointless.

It was Curzon who started the better of the two sides and they nearly had the lead five minutes in. A lay off from Joe Guest found Sam Walker, who’s effort from six yards ricocheted off the Southport keeper, and former Nash man, Steven Howson.

Unfortunately for Walker and Curzon the keeper pounced on the loose ball and it was cleared to safety. 

As the February sun continued to beat down on Haig Avenue, Curzon continued to beat down the Port defence, and their early pressure paid off with a little under 15 minutes on the clock.

Walker whipped in a delightful free kick from the right, which was met by Regan who crashed his header onto the post, fortunately the Curzon defender made no mistake with his second attempt, latching onto the rebound and slotting home to give the Nash a deserved lead.

Despite taking the lead Curzon- as described by Flanagan in his post-match interview, ‘took their foot of the gas’ and allowed the home side back into the game.

The Nash would live to regret this, as 10 minutes after taking the lead they were pegged back.

League top goal scorer, James Gilrchrist was found free in the box from a cross from the right and finished past Cameron Mason to level things up with 20 minutes left in the first half.

Things then went from bad to worse for Curzon, a lot worse…

Shaw found space 35 yards from the Nash box, and played a heavily weighted pass back to Mason, the pass proved to heavy and quick for the Nash number one, as he watched it fly past him and into his own net. After the game Flanagan described the own goal as ‘unbelievable’.

The hosts continue to control after going in front and took their lead in at the break.

The second half started as the first ended, as Port continued to put Curzon on the back foot.

As the Southport sun shone down on Mason in the second half one kind Curzon fan leant the Nash number one a black cap to cope with the glaring light.

His new ‘roadman style’ didn’t seem to hinder him though, as he made an excellent save down to his right to deny Dion Charles from extending the lead.

With just over 20 minutes left, Aaron Dwyer entered the fray for Curzon in replace of Joe Guest, and within 10 minutes of being on the field the winger nearly levelled.

James Baillie’s cross found the substitute eight yards out from goal, however Dwyer directed his effort just over the Southport bar.

Five minutes later and Curzon had another golden opportunity to equalise, but Jonothan Hunt’s header from Walker’s corner was straight at Jon Worsnop.

As the sun began to fall on Haig Avenue, so did the Nash’s chance of an equaliser as Port found their third in injury time.

Charles controversially ‘beat’ the offside trap and squared for Osbourne, who tapped home to give his side a 3-1 win, and all three points.

After the game manager, Flanagan gave his thoughts on the defeat.

He said: “I thought we started the game pretty brightly and we managed to get our noses in front and I thought we were doing things well, as everything was quick and sharp, and then for some reason we took our foot off the gas and allowed them back into the game, and they started dominating.


Older Newer