Match Report: Spennymoor

22 Apr 2018 in News

Match Report: Spennymoor Match Report: Spennymoor

Full-time: Curzon Ashton 1-0 Spennymoor Town

Man of the Match: Joe Guest

Attendance: 309

The Teams:

Curzon Ashton: Mason (GK), Thornley, Guest, Hunt (C), Shaw, Regan, Baillie (Beesley 85’), Marshall, Wharton (Clark 90’), Brooke (McKenna 20’), Dunwoody.

Substitutes: Clark, Baker, McKenna, Beesley, Crothers.

Spennymoor Town: Lowson (GK), Griffiths, Mason (C), Chandler, Curry, Curtis, Hall (Anderson 77’), Lowe (Johnson 68’), Taylor, Ramshaw, Foley (Fewster 77’).

Substitutes: Fewster, Porter, Anderson, Johnson, Henry.

Curzon Ashton beat Spennymoor Town 1-0 in a well grafted performance to ensure their safety from relegation.

Joe Guest scored the only goal of the game with a header after Ben Mckenna provided a perfect cross from the right wing. An important goal which proved to be vital for The Nash as the resulting 3 points confirmed that they will play in the Vanarama National League North for a fourth consecutive season.

A nasty injury to Ryan Brooke set the tone of game as he had to be substituted early after a painful blow to the face from an aerial challenge.

The pattern of ugly challenges and scrappy football repeated itself as both teams struggled to get clear chances throughout the first half.

However, the early replacement of McKenna coming on for Brooke turned out to be positive for the home side.

5 minutes before half-time, McKenna managed to wriggle his way down the right wing beating the left back, and provided an inch-perfect cross for Guest to meet and head home to make it 1-0 just before the break.

Half-time: Curzon Ashton 1-0 Spennymoor Town

With 45 minutes still yet to play, everyone knew it was going to be a long and nerve-wracking second half at the Tameside Stadium.

Spennymoor came out straight away hunting for an equaliser. David Foley had a shot saved brilliantly by Cameron Mason as the effort was curling towards the bottom corner.

Just a few minutes later, Mason came to Curzon’s rescue once again, as he made himself big to stop Ryan Hall’s effort after he was played through behind Curzon’s back line.

Curzon did come close to snatching a second goal. James Baillie drove himself through the heart of the opposition’s defense and tried to take the ball around the keeper, who pushed the ball wide to Guest and his attempted chip was just cleared off the line.

Desperate for the final whistle, Spennymoor threw everyone forward to try and grab a late equaliser. Which they almost did, as substitute Andrew Johnson headed over Mason’s goal after a deep cross into the box.

An additional 4 minutes of injury time, which felt like an eternity, finally came to an end as Guest’s first half goal secured all 3 points for The Nash and a victory which ensured Curzon Ashton’s safety with two games left to play.



Match Report by Will Hobson. 




Older Newer