Match Report: Tamworth

25 Mar 2018 in News

Match Report: Tamworth Match Report: Tamworth

The Nash were back to winning ways on Saturday, as John Flanagan and his side defeated fellow relegation battlers Tamworth 1-0 at the Tameside Stadium.

Sam Walker’s was the goal scorer, and despite missing a penalty with 10 minutes to go Walker and his side held on to take all three points, with the Nash number eight picking up man of the match for an outstanding performance.

After not playing last week due to a waterlogged pitch at Blyth, Curzon had an extra week off compared to their opponents, and this showed early on with Flanagan’s men looking the much fresher of the two sides.

Despite this it was Tamworth who had the first real effort of the afternoon, as Darryl Knights hit a long-ranged effort just wide of Cameron Mason’s right post.

Curzon responded well however and created a good chance of their own. The in-form Ben Mckenna neatly cut in from the right and hit an effort just past the far post.

With the Nash loitering just above the relegation zone in 19th three points was a must, and this was evident to see as they continued to push for the all-important opener.

Both Walker and Jake Dunwoody came close within five minutes. Walker hit a fierce effort from 25 yards just wide off the mark, and then some brilliant solo play from Mckenna set up Dunwoody, who poked his effort agonisingly wide of the Tamworth goal.

After an end to end first 30 minutes the final third of the half was a total opposite. As the half time whistle drew closer and closer, both sides struggled to find an opening and the teams went in at the break all square.

As the grey skies descended on the Tameside Stadium at the start of the second half the Nash needed something to brighten things up, and this brightener came within ten minutes of the restart.

Joe Guest cut inside from the right to set up Walker, who calmly side footed his effort past the keeper for his first goal since his return to Curzon in February.

With the two teams fighting for both points, and safety Tamworth began to up their tempo in the search for an equaliser.

With 20 minutes left the Lambs could have, and probably should have been level. A cross from the right was met by the unmarked Aman Verma who some how headed his effort over the bar from six yards out.

Ten minutes later and Cuzron had a huge opportunity to double their lead. Joe Guest nipped the ball around Jack Stevens in the Tamworth goal, who brought the Nash winger down giving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

Unfortunately for Curzon Walker put the spot kick wide, keeping the scores at 1-0 and leaving a nervy last ten minutes for the Nash to hold on.

With just one clean sheet in his last 11 games, Mason was determined to keep a clean sheet as he denied several Tamworth chances in the final minutes as the ball was continuously lumped into his box, which contained all 22 players  even Tamworth keeper, Stevens who joined most of the attacks in the four minutes of stoppage time.

The Nash number one stood strong, as did his defence and Curzon held out for a hugely important win in the fight for survival, with the victory moving them a place ahead of Tamworth in the table with three games in hand.



Older Newer