Match Report v Tamworth FC

25 Mar 2018 in Match Reports

Match Report v Tamworth FC Match Report v Tamworth FC

Before today’s game Curzon’s manager John Flanagan has said that his side needed to be more clinical in front of goal and he kept faith in the side that were narrowly beaten last time out for the visit of Tamworth, who like Curzon are searching for wins to stay in the division.

Curzon started off well with good possession and setting out their intentions, but it was Tamworth who fired the first shot in anger after Rhys Sharpe hit a superb strike from 25 yards out which skimmed off Cameron Mason’s right hand post.

Curzon replied through Jake Dunwoody on 13 minutes after he created some space for himself outside Tamworth’s box but he dragged his shot wide.

Curzon on 25 minutes got the crowd a little excited after Joe Guest broke through Tamworth’s back four but his shot was blocked, it fell to Dunwoody who’s shot was also blocked this time falling to Chris Rowney who’s effort fizzed wide of Jack Stevens post.

Curzon were having the majority of the possession but with both sides in the bottom four of the form table and struggling to score in their last few fixtures it was plain to see why.

On the stroke of halftime Ben McKenna broke into the Tamworth box to the by-line pulling the ball back across the front of goal but the in-coming Guest was just beaten to ball inside the 6 yard box for a corner.

GOAL: Curzon got off to the best start in the second half, a move from left to right found Guest who got himself into the Tamworth box, with the crowd urging him to shoot he checked, then pulled the ball back to Sam Walker who slotted past Stevens from 16 yards.

It was a massive boost for Curzon and the confidence was plain to see as they pushed forward, on 62 minutes centre half Danny Shaw mad a fantastic run down the middle finding Guest out on the left but his ball into the box was easily cleared. 

Tamworth needing to get back into the game made changes bringing on forward Dior Angus for defender Regan Upton and Angus had a great chance to pull Tamworth level when from just inside the box but he shot straight at Mason, on 69 minutes Darryl Knights in a similar position again could only hit his effort straight at Mason as Curzon were starting to live dangerously. 

Tamworth’s best chance fell on 72 minutes when a great delivery into the Curzon box found Aman Verma 6 yards out but luckily for Curzon he could not keep his header under the crossbar.

Curzon making changes themselves looking to grab a second goal to ease the pressure which saw Richard Baker replacing Dunwoody, Baker force Stevens into a great save on 78 minutes after he turned and shot from the edge of the box.  

On 80 minutes Curzon were awarded a penalty after Guest played in James Baillie with the keeper bringing him down on the goal-line. Sam Walker stepped up but drilled his shot wide of the left post to give Tamworth hope of grabbing something from the game.

Mason who was again solid in the Curzon goal was again in action on 85 minutes when bravely dived at the feet of Akwasi Asante to deny him a goal scoring opportunity.

On 90 minutes Tamworth won a corner and in the medley,  Curzon threw bodies in front of every effort from Tamworth with Mason finally holding onto a Jed Davies shot from the edge of the box.

With The referee James Bell adding 4 minutes added time, Tamworth threw everything and everyone forward, but Curzon held out to a deserved but very much needed three points.

Match Report by Dave Jones


Older Newer